Tuesday 19 April 2016

challenge success story: Cara King

I began the 52 week illustration challenge half way through 2014: eye week. I was working 4 days a week with 2 small boys in childcare and not much time for anything. I was missing seeing my boys grow up and my passion for drawing and this challenge opened a door.

Cara King

I read Tania’s Fantastical Flying creator and quit my job. My husband allocated some of his shed for me and built me a studio. In 2015 I completed all weeks (except texture) and I’ve loved it and built up a fair whack of images. I have felt so encouraged along the way by all who are in the challenge, seeing their work and reading their lovely comments on each other’s pieces. It’s a wonderful hub.

Cara's studio

I heard through a friend that someone was looking for an illustrator and sent her some links to my Facebook page. I was thrilled to be asked to illustrate a book for these wonderful women (Roz Hopkins and Natalie Winter from Captain Honey Publishing).


Their book “Mummy and Mumma get Married” is a story about marriage equality and the excitement of the wedding day. I feel strongly about this issue and am delighted to be illustrating for this book.


This challenge has helped in so many ways, that I’m grateful to be given this platform to draw and to be among a community of art-loving like-minded individuals with astounding talent.


Follow Cara:

Website: www.caratoons.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/caratoonsdesign

Buy "Mummy and Mumma get Married" HERE: www.captainhoney.com.au

Buy from Amazon HERE

3 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging! Thank you for sharing, Cara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely for you. Wonderful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful happy ending. Your illustrations are so full of life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.