Friday 2 May 2014

learn: In-Process Painting with Sheryl Gwyther

Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts - oil pastels and gold leaf on canvas

When painting, I use a fairly loose style in the beginning to get basic shapes down, then layer colour until it's what I'm after.

With oil pastels, you mix on the canvas - so if I want a good solid shadow, I use one of the browns and ultramarine crosshatched, then mix a little with my fingers. You have to be careful to not do too much dark colour to start or you won't get the paler shades down successfully.

You can use gum turps to lift colours, but that muddies things, and it's much cleaner to get it down the right way first.

Colour is one of the loves of my art life. If anything, I tend to go overboard if I'm not careful. I wanted this to be a little more muted than my usual work. It took two days to complete.

Hope you enjoy it! For more of my art, check out my web page - sherylgwyther.net


#1 Laying out the basic design over a used canvas, thinking about colours ...


#2 Focusing on the horse and its components ...


#3 Shadows and building up horse structure ...


#5 Using the underpainting as part of the painting for the clouds and landforms ...


#6 Trying different wheel positions ...


#7 Changing wheels, building up night background, laying down gold leaf ...


Final image - wheels changed again, more shadows, scratching in ladder ...


Detail from painting ...





2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Tania! Making art is such fun, Isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing an insight into your process, Sheryl. I really love this artwork, it is beautiful, fun and a lovely concept. I haven't worked much with oil pastels and made the wrong assumption that it was oil paints you used, initially.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.